CU Boulder: 7 Fun Facts You Didn’t Know
The University of Colorado Boulder is one of only 36 public research universities in the United States that are members of the Association of American Universities (AAU), an organization of institutions acknowledged as America’s finest research universities.
1. CU boasts nearly 475,000 living alumni, more than 250,000 of whom call Colorado their home. This means that 52% of alum stay in the Centennial State!
2. CU employs more than 36,000 people. This makes CU Boulder the largest employer in Colorado, with Lockheed Martin following closely behind.
4. In fiscal year 2018-19, CU garnered $1.2 billion in sponsored research awards to conduct research in economic sectors critical to the state and nation, including energy, bioscience, aerospace and health care.
5. CU research has led to the creation of more than 190 new companies, including ShoeSense Running and the Space Research Company.
6. With 17 varsity sports teams, the CU Boulder Buffs have won 29 national championships, in cross country, skiing, golf and football.
7. Physicians at the University of Colorado performed the first liver transplant in 1963.