Practical Tips for Visiting Denver in Winter
There is no such thing as a bad day in Denver. The city offers something for everyone, and it’s hard to not be happy here. But there are some days that might make you want to stay inside – namely those cold winter days where the sun doesn’t even come up until 8 AM! If you’re visiting Denver during this time of year, here are a few tips about what to do and how to dress so that your trip is still enjoyable.
Make The Most Of Your Denver Trip
Denver is the perfect place to visit year-round. There’s plenty of opportunity for outdoor winter sports, and with a little preparation, you can enjoy some of Denver’s best restaurants and bars even in the coldest months.
Denver is a cool place to visit in the winter, but it can also be tricky. The cold weather and altitude make even the most basic tasks more difficult. To help you prepare for your trip, here are some practical tips on things to pack, how to dress, what not to do when visiting Denver in winter, and more!
Tip #1: What To Wear? Bring A Jacket – And A Hat, Gloves, and Scarf
No one ever said that visiting Denver in the winter was going to be easy. The temperatures here can easily drop below freezing at night, so it’s important to dress warmly. Bring a jacket (preferably one with a hood), as well as a hat, gloves, and scarf to help you stay warm.
Don’t: Wear jeans and a warm t-shirt – unless it’s actually summer! Even though 40°F may not feel that cold, dressing like it is will make your trip much less enjoyable (and could even be dangerous). Trust us on this one.
Tip #2: What To Do? Go Skiing And Snowboarding!
Even though Denver gets lots of snow in the winter, there aren’t many opportunities for skiing and snowboarding. The good news is that if you’re willing to drive (or take public transportation) a bit outside of town, it’s still possible to hit up some powdery slopes. There are several ski areas in Colorado so you’ll have options. A few suggestions are Vail Mountain, Arapahoe Basin, and Eldora Ski Resort. Make sure you bring your gear if you have it. If not you can always rent them.
Don’t: Spend all your time in the city – you’ll be missing out on so much! Denver is a great place to visit year-round, but if you’re just there for the snow then take some time to check out other parts of Colorado too.
Tip #3: What To Eat? Try Denver’s Best Restaurants
With all the great restaurants in Denver, it can be hard to choose just one. It’s recommended that you try as many of them as possible! If you’re only visiting for a short time, then check out some of these top-rated must-visit places like Leña Brava (for Spanish tapas), Work & Class (for modern Mexican cuisine), or Linger (which is open until midnight). During the winter, a warm delicious meal is the highlight of any day.
Don’t: Waste your time at chain restaurants. There are so many great locally-owned places to eat in Denver, and they don’t all serve burgers, wings, and French fries! While these types of food may be more convenient, they’re definitely not the best that Denver has to offer.
Tip #4: What To Do? Try Some Craft Breweries
Denver is the craft beer capital of America, so don’t miss out on sampling some great local brews. Read a guide on Denver’s best breweries that will help you find the perfect place for you. Plus, each brewery has its own unique ambiance and vibe – meaning visiting even just a few will be an unforgettable experience. Make sure not to drink and drive especially during the winter where the roads are slippery and wet.
Don’t: Compare Denver’s craft breweries to those in other cities. Don’t waste your time trying out brewery styles you’ve already tried – go for something new instead and you’ll discover a whole new world of flavors! Plus, you can enjoy their craft brews without wasting time and money on a tour.
Tip #5: What To Do? Take A Hike
If you’re looking for an outdoor activity to do in Denver, then hiking is a great option. The city has plenty of trails that will take you through some beautiful scenery, and since the weather is usually so nice it’s a perfect way to spend a weekend day.
Don’t: forget the sunscreen! The sun can be really strong at this altitude, so make sure you protect yourself from harmful UV rays. And if it’s cold out, bring a hat and gloves too.
Tip #6: What To Do? Visit The Museums
Denver is home to some amazing museums, and there’s something for everyone. Some of the top museums include the Denver Art Museum, Colorado History Museum, and more.
Don’t: Miss the Botanic Gardens. Even though it’s not a traditional museum, the Denver Botanic Gardens is a must-visit for anyone who loves plants and flowers. With 23 gardens and over 300 species of plants, it’s one of the most diverse botanical gardens in the country. Though in the winter not many plants will be in bloom, it’s still a beautiful spot to enjoy.
Tip #7: What To Do? Take A Walking Tour
Denver is a great city for walking, and there are plenty of interesting places to see. Spend time at 16th Street Mall, Capitol Hill, or one of Denver’s many other walking trails.
Don’t: Miss out on the nightlife. Denver has a thriving nightlife scene, and there’s something for everyone. Whether you’re into live music, dancing, or just grabbing a drink with friends, you’ll find what you’re looking for in the Mile-High City.
Tip #8: What To Do? Watch A Show
There are so many great shows happening in Denver all the time, and it’s one of the best ways to spend an evening. From concerts to comedy shows, dinner theaters to musicals, you’ll find plenty of options for all tastes.
Don’t: Miss out on the theater scene. Denver has a thriving theater scene, and there are plenty of great shows to choose from. From Broadway classics to experimental new works, you’re sure to find something that interests you
Tip #9: What To Do? Bring The Family
Not only is Denver a great place to be an adult, but it’s also fun for kids too! There are plenty of kid-friendly activities that will keep your young ones entertained.
Don’t: Miss out on opportunities for wildlife viewing. Denver is home to a variety of wildlife, and you can see them at various locations around the city. From bears to bison to elk, there’s something for everyone.
Tip #10: What To Do? Spend The Night
Denver is a great city for immersing yourself in the local culture, but there are also plenty of opportunities to stay overnight. Whether you want to check out one of Denver’s hotels or if you’re looking to spend time at one of its many bed and breakfasts, it’s easy enough to find somewhere that will suit your needs.
Don’t: Forget to consider the neighborhoods when you’re looking for a place to stay. Denver has 79 official neighborhoods, and each one of them is unique in its own way. Read some of the articles on different neighborhood guides so that you can find the perfect location!
Tip #11: What To Do? Vacation During The Holidays
Denver is a great place to spend the holidays, and there are plenty of fun activities for everyone. From Christmas markets to New Year’s celebrations, there is something magical about a white Christmas. Make sure to take plenty of photos with all over the glowing lights at night time.
Don’t: Miss out on the cozy fireside drinks. One of the best things about winter is that it’s the perfect time to curl up by a fire with a hot drink. Head to one of Denver’s many bars and pubs for an evening you won’t forget.
Tip #12: What To Do? Rent A Car
Denver is a big city, and there’s a lot to see and do. If you want to be able to explore all of the different neighborhoods and attractions, it’s a good idea to rent a car. This will give you the freedom to come and go as you please without having to worry about public transportation or taxis.
Don’t: Miss out on the amazing scenery. Denver is located in an incredible location, and there are plenty of great places to see nearby. Take a lazy drive around the city to take in the sights while staying warm.
Tip #13: What To Do? Bring Your Medicines And Learn Survival Tips For Winter
Denver’s winters can be cold, and it’s important to be prepared. Make sure you bring any medicines you might need and learn some basic survival tips so that you’re ready for anything.
Don’t: Venture out someone knowing where you plan to do it. If you’re going outdoors, have extra supplies, and don’t stay out too late. It’s also a good idea not to hike, walk, or drive out too far from others.
How To Plan Your Trip?
Now that you know all about what to do in Denver, it’s time to start planning your trip! From dates to where you’re staying, it’s best to plan the whole trip out ahead of time. Here are a few tips to help make the process easier:
- Start by figuring out what dates you’ll be traveling. This will help you determine which events and attractions will be available during your stay.
- Check online to see if there are any events happening while you’re in town.
- Figure out how long you want to stay and make sure that your travel dates fit with your overall timeline. This will help ensure that you don’t run into any issues trying to find somewhere to sleep or something fun to do!
- Once you’ve figured out your dates and made sure that there’s plenty to do, start looking for travel deals. With so many different ways to save money on flights and hotels, you can make the most of your trip without spending a fortune.
- Now it’s time to book everything! Compare prices between booking online or by phone, and choose whatever makes sense for you.
- Pack your bags and get ready to have a great time in Denver!
Facts About Denver
- Denver is the capital of Colorado, and it’s also the most populous city in the state. It was founded in 1858, and over the years it has grown into a thriving metropolis.
- Denver sits at an elevation of 5280 feet above sea level, making it one of the highest major cities in the United States. The average July high temperature is 91 degrees Fahrenheit, and the average January low temperature is 18 degrees.
- Denver’s economy is diverse, and it includes sectors such as energy, health care, finance, technology, and manufacturing. The city is also home to a number of Fortune 500 companies.
- The Denver Broncos are the local NFL team, and they play their home games at Sports Authority Field at Mile High. The Colorado Rockies are the professional baseball team, and the Colorado Avalanche is a local hockey franchise.
- Denver features several professional sports teams as well as an exciting music scene, art exhibits, museums, restaurants, and much more! It’s also home to Coors Field where you can catch a game from one of its many popular baseball teams. The stadium has been named one of the top places to watch a game, and it’s even been ranked as having the best atmosphere.
- The Denver Zoo is one of the top attractions downtowns, and it features over 1200 different animals from all around the world! The zoo also provides educational experiences for both kids and adults (including behind-the-scenes tours), making it perfect for families or anyone interested in learning more about the animal kingdom.
The city of Denver is full of culture, activities, and things to do – making it the perfect destination for a winter vacation! Whether you’re looking to explore the city or take advantage of its many outdoor activities, there’s something for everyone in this vibrant Colorado metropolis. Stay warm and enjoy your time in Denver!