Are ‘Zombie’ Homes Becoming a Problem in Boulder?
So-called ‘zombie’ homes, or homes that are vacant and in foreclosure, pop up across the United States frequently, with an estimated 1.2 million right now. Empty homes represent about 1.5% of all houses, but zombie houses can indicate a worsening economy. So is Boulder having an issue with zombie homes?
There are approximately 694 homes sitting vacant in Boulder right now, but luckily there is only one zombie foreclosure. Top zombie foreclosure in the United States are:
- St. Clair County, Illinois (12.3 percent of homes in foreclosure)
- Cuyahoga County, Ohio (12 percent)
- Baltimore City/County, Maryland (10.4 percent)
- Pinellas County Florida (9.8 percent)
- Onondaga County, New York (9.5 percent)
With so few zombie houses, this is likely an indicator of a healthy economy in Boulder.