8 of the Highest, the Largest, the Deepest, and the Best Things in Colorado
1. Colorado is home to the world’s largest natural hot spring pool
Located in Glenwood Springs, the naturally hot pool is also one of the hottest in Colorado, checking in at 122 degrees.
2. Colorado is also home to the deepest hot spring
The Mother Springs aquifer in Pagosa Springs is a little over 1,000 feet deep.
3. Colorado has the highest paved road in the U.S.
The Mount Evans scenic byway goes up 14,258 feet to the top of Mt. Evans, with a short hike to the summit.
4. Colorado has the highest suspension bridge in the U.S.
The Royal Gorge bridge in Canon City is the highest in the U.S. and one of the highest in the world at 1,053 feet.
5. The longest continuous street is Colfax Ave.
The longest continuous street is 26.5 miles and is home to the yearly Colfax Marathon
6. The highest sand dune in the U.S. is in Colorado
Named the Star Dune, you can see it at The Great Sand Dunes National Park. The dune is 750 feet above the valley floor!
7. Colorado has the highest tunnel in the U.S.
You guessed it–the traffic filled Eisenhower tunnel sits at 11,158 feet.
8. Colorado has the world’s largest flat-top mountain
The Grand Mesa spans hundreds of square miles and is more than 10,000 feet above sea level.