Pearl Street Mall is among the top ten outdoor malls in the United States
The Boulder Pearl Street Mall is a pedestrian-only area in downtown Boulder, Colorado, known for its vibrant atmosphere, charming boutiques, street performers, and diverse dining options. It has become a cultural and commercial center of the city, attracting locals and tourists alike.
The mall was established in 1977, after the city of Boulder bought four blocks of the historic downtown area and closed them off to traffic. The aim was to create a pedestrian-friendly space where people could walk, shop, and dine without the noise and pollution of cars. The concept was revolutionary at the time, and the mall quickly became a model for other cities across the country.
One of the unique features of the mall is its architecture, which blends old and new styles seamlessly. The buildings are mostly brick, and many of them date back to the late 1800s and early 1900s. However, they have been renovated and updated to house modern businesses, giving the mall a distinctive character.
The mall is also famous for its street performers, who add to the lively atmosphere. Musicians, jugglers, magicians, and other entertainers can often be found performing on the mall’s sidewalks, attracting crowds of people.
In addition to the street performers, the mall hosts a variety of events throughout the year, including a popular farmer’s market, art shows, music festivals, and holiday celebrations. These events bring people together and add to the sense of community that is so important to Boulder residents.
Overall, the Boulder Pearl Street Mall is a unique and beloved part of the city’s history and culture. It continues to draw visitors from all over the world, who come to experience its charm, beauty, and vibrant energy.
Here are some fun facts about the Pearl Street Mall in Boulder, Colorado:
- The mall features over 1,000 businesses, including restaurants, cafes, shops, and street performers.
- The design of the Pearl Street Mall was influenced by the Italian Renaissance and features brick-paved walkways, flower beds, and fountains.
- The mall is home to several historic buildings, including the Boulder County Courthouse, which was built in 1883.
- The mall has been recognized as one of the top ten outdoor malls in the United States by USA Today.
- The Pearl Street Mall has been used as a filming location for several movies, including “Catch and Release” and “The Dead Girl.”
- The mall hosts several annual events, including the Pearl Street Arts Fest, which features over 100 artists showcasing their work, and the Tulip Fairy and Elf Parade, a springtime tradition in which children dress up as fairies and elves and parade down the mall.
- The Pearl Street Mall is a popular spot for buskers, or street performers, who come from all over the world to entertain visitors with their music, juggling, and other talents.